VBS '09

VBS '09

Power Lab '08

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Doing it again!

I am blessed this year to be able to do VBS not just once, but twice.
Sunday after church Jeanny Elliot, Mary Prosser, my kids, and me will be leaving for Robbinsville, NC. A small town in the western tip of the state.

For a little bit of background info about where we are going and why...here goes...
I started going to R'ville when I was 15 years old. Cherokee Indian Reservation land is all intertwined with the mountains and there is a large population of Cherokee Indians there. This is the area and the people known as the "Snowbirds".
The church that my family belonged to when I was in High School had been going up there for several years during the summer doing VBS and work projects. We went, like I said, when I was 15 and fell in love not only with the beauty of the mountains but with the people as well.
We started going not only in the Summer but for weekend trips during the year as well.
When I was in college my parents started renting a little cabin from an old Indian man giving us a place to stay whenever we wanted to go up.
God really used these years of my life to develop a heart for ministry to others and to make me realize as a selfish teen ager that God could use anyone as long as they where willing to serve.

In 1998 my parents felt the calling from God to move up there full time and invest their lives into full fledge ministry among the Snowbird people. My dad worked for Hewitt Packard at the time and was able to work from home. My Mom started working down at the Snowbird Community Center doing tutoring and also did weekly and Monthly activities with the ladies.

Several years after that when Mom and Dad bought there own house up there, they turned the little cabin into a the Snowbird Family Learning Center. My Mom has devoted much time since then into the lives of the families of this community. This year they have out grown that learning center and God blessed them with the opportunity to purchase a house through their ministry. It really was amazing to see God work. They raised $40,000 in just a few months to go towards the purchase of this house. Teams of people are currently coming up and making the necessary renovations so they can use it full time coming this fall.

So the VBS that we will be doing will be down at the Snowbird Community Center. We will be working with the Boys and Girls club down there and will be doing VBS for about 50 kids.
People from my parents church, including their pastor, will helping us.
This is going to be a different VBS for me. It won't be very organized and their will be a lot of flying by the seat of our pants! But I am looking forward to the awesome ministry opportunity and the chance to tell these kids all about "Jesus Miraculous Power".

Please pray for our safe travels and for the time we will have with these great kids.
Please pray also for me. I have strep throat and feel over all yucky. Please pray that the Strep will be completely gone and healed by Wednesday when we start and that my voice will be in tip top shape to share with these kids.

I will try to post updates while we are there.
Thanks for your support and prayers!

No comments: